Saturday, November 11, 2006

Time Management or Self Management


Sometimes back i went to meet my finance professor who is one of my idols. I haven't seen a better time manager than him. He abounds in energy. He radiates a lot of it. He teaches in so many colleges and for so many classes.

But what amazed me was how seemlessly he managed all this. How on the earth can he find time to do so many things?

If you are an Indian, there's no doubt about you knowing Shahrukh Khan. When someone interviewed Shahrukh Khan on his 41st birthday and asked him what would be one thing he would like to change...and all he answered was..."I wish there were more HOURS in a day".

So may be Shahrukh Khan is too facing the crisis that we all are...and that is how do we add extra hours to our day.

Coming back to interview with my Sir, I asked him if he wanted to advice something to his students...and all he said was: "You should learn how to extract 25th hour from a 24 hour day"

That day evening, i kept thinking about what he had just said...and I was trying to relate it with his Time Management skills.

And wooooh....i found an answer to his success technique.

What we all we are trying to do is: "Doing as much as possible in as little time". We are trying to foucs on how we can "Do more things in less time".

But I realized that there are very few ways of achieving it. Technology is one of them. But technology has its own constrains.

So what's the Secret of Time Management.

I found the answer from what my Sir had said. I learnt that it is not only important to do more and more things in less and less time, but there lies one more dimension to time management. And that, i believe, is the very secret of my Sir's success.

And that secret is: "CUT THE CRAP"

Just drop off all those unnecessary things you have been doing [like reading my blog.....lol] which consumes hell lot of your time and focus your entire energies on the work at hand.

Chopping of futile conversations, surfing, [u know what other things kill your time], etc can give you countless productive hours.

So I guess, the secret of Time Management is:
Manage Yourself...and Time will be Managed By Itself.